Happy Birthday, GK Chesterton!
May 29, 2011 Leave a comment
GK Chesterton, the English writer, was born 29 May 1874:
… Chesterton routinely referred to himself as an “orthodox” Christian, and came to identify such a position with Catholicism more and more, eventually converting to Roman Catholicism from Anglicanism. George Bernard Shaw, Chesterton’s “friendly enemy” according to Time, said of him, “He was a man of colossal genius”…
That he was.
Here are some quotes from the man:
- Don’t ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up.
- Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.
- I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean.
- If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.
- The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.
And here’s possibly my favourite:
The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar.