November 29, 2011 Leave a comment
November 29, 2011 1 Comment
Iran continues to threaten Israel, this time hinting it will hit it with up to 150,000 missiles if its nuclear facilities are attacked.
Israel National News reports:
In a continuation of its statements from the past several days, Iran on Sunday threatened Israel with a barrage of missiles, if the Jewish State attacks its nuclear facilities.
Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi told the Fars news agency that Israel will not have a minimal chance of survival after attacking Iran.
“The enemy must answer this question, if it attacks Iran, for how long a battle and losing how many of its warships and vessels has it prepared itself?” Vahidi said.
“Why is the Zionist regime making threats (against Iran)? How many missiles have they prepared themselves for? 10,000? 20,000? 50,000? 100,000? 150,000 or more?” he added.
He advised the U.S. and its allies to realize Iran’s incredible might and said that in the event of a war, the Islamic Republic will teach the Americans what war really is and what soldiers are supposed to be like…
… Another senior Guard commander, Yadollah Javani, threatened that Tehran will target Israel’s nuclear facilities if the Jewish state attacks Iran.
“If Israel fires a missile at our nuclear facilities or vital installations, it should know that Israel’s nuclear centers will be the target of our missiles,” Javani said.
Tensions have been rising between Iran and the West since the release of a report earlier this month by the International Atomic Energy Agency, which said that Tehran was suspected of conducting secret experiments whose sole purpose was the development of nuclear arms…
You can read more here.
November 29, 2011 8 Comments
A breakaway Anglican church leader, who claims he was raped by a Catholic priest, has filed a police complaint after an internal church investigation cleared his alleged abuser.
Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) Archbishop John Hepworth said earlier this year he had been raped by three priests, beginning in 1960 when he was 15.
Senator Nick Xenophon named Adelaide priest Monsignor Ian Dempsey as one of the rapists under federal parliamentary privilege, saying the Catholic church had taken too long to investigate.
Adelaide Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson said last night an independent inquiry had found there was no substance to the allegations.
The investigation included interviews with 29 witnesses, many who were present at the time the events allegedly occurred, and a large number of documents including those dating back to the relevant period.
Archbishop Hepworth declined to give evidence to the Catholic inquiry and told reporters today that he had now filed a complaint with police after seeking legal advice.
A TAC spokeswoman, Cheryl Woodman, said the Catholic investigation was flawed and had traumatised Archbishop Hepworth.
Witnesses were not allowed indemnity and Archbishop Hepworth had to pay their travel costs, preventing many from speaking out, she said.
“This whole process has been incredibly difficult,” Ms Woodman told AAP.
“I truly believe the Catholic church would be more empathic, more understanding, considering the negative publicity they’ve had and the mishandling of abuse cases.”
Archbishop Hepworth, who is primate in Adelaide of the splinter TAC group, said he was an adult when allegedly raped by Monsignor Dempsey.
He said he broke away from the Catholic Church because of the abuse.
The honourable – and I say again: honourable thing- to do under the circumstances is for the Archbishop to step down as Primate of the Traditional Anglican Communion and to sort out his mess! Whatever seedy things happened some forty-years-ago has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the TAC. But by doggedly pursuing what is essentially a secret (up until now), personal problem, in this his blundering, squealing, chosen, public way, he is not only damaging his own name, but bringing the credibility of the TAC as a whole into disrepute.
Quite evidently, Archbishop John Hepworth is not consulting with any of his fellow Bishops and a lone voice of support is that of an ever yapping in the background Canoness Woodman.
I implore both of you thus, publicly, to the end that sanity prevail, and that in the Name of the One we profess to serve: Step down, sort out the dreadfulness mess that you have created for yourselves, and then, go as laypeople to the Roman Catholic Church, or simply leave them (the Roman Catholics) alone. For it is that you are becoming ‘stumbling blocks’ to the faith of many, and that cannot be tolerated nor can it be condoned (Rom 14:13).
It is for a good reason that the faithful are increasingly distancing themselves from you, and yours is becoming but a disturbing solitary call.
November 29, 2011 Leave a comment
People are still influenced and informed by traditional, low-tech means through public monuments, gatherings and speeches, but are also targeted with messages and information on current events or matters of state through television, radio, internet and the print media.
In ancient times, on the other hand, religious, political or social messages aimed at the public were commonly transmitted through sculpted, figural art. Public buildings were often designed as imposing, three-dimensional message boards.
Today, with central Athens again witnessing violent clashes between demonstrators and police, one has only to look to the Acropolis or the Acropolis Museum’s Parthenon Hall for age-old public reminders carved in stone that a civilised society’s resistance against barbarism and chaos is a timeless struggle, never to be forgotten …
Do read on in Athens News here.
HT: Rogue Classicism