A day ago someone in Australia who goes by the name ‘Jay Walk’ (no, that’s not Gay Walk) has conveniently uploaded a video which has been entitled: Traditional Anglican bishops sign Catechism Catholic Church Portsmouth UK October 2007.
Deborah Gyapong has today
conveniently put it to good use, setting the stage for yet another blog post forming part of her ongoing series of posts coming out in defence of Archbishop John Hepworth. Her blog remains the only sanctuary left for him on the blogosphere. Her loyalty, albeit so misplaced, is most admirable. Me? I’m tired of fighting the Hepworthian PR machine… All the lies that are so quickly and easily spread, half-truths, deceit, conduct unbecoming, schismatic behaviour, slander, an unwillingness to repent, collusion, failing to admit any accountability, the refusal to work with fellow Bishops, running off to the secular media (or anyone else who is willing to listen), endorsing Slipper, making unsanctioned press releases, using the TAC as a bargaining tool to orchestrate his hoped for glorious return to the Catholic Church, not following through on his own word, the promises (is he a Catholic layman yet, and if not, why not?), the arrogance, the self-pity… It has been a long and taxing fight that includes:
- Hepworth going on record and calling the Tribunal set up, the one that he was invited to and asked to defend himself in: ‘la-la land‘.
- Documented evidence of his financial mismanagement as a Catholic priest, having faced court for misappropriating funds as an Anglican priest, and on top of all that, being accused of financial irregularities as a Continuing Archbishop. People used to say, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’
- A martyr? Well, you decided.
- Repeatedly involving the TAC with and in his alleged sexual abuse, with sick graphic details, ’cold, wet sand…’ and all.
- Offering to drop demands for action over the above rape allegations in exchange for being helped to return to the Catholic Church.
- Not supplying any spiritual leadership to his bishops or the people of the TAC.
- Rebuffing calls for his resignation.
- Seeking a Papal nod.
- Ruining the life and ministry of Msgr Ian Dempsey, an innocent Priest who up until Archbishop John Hepworth’s unsubstantiated claims, was a Priest in good standing, as an Officer of the Order of Australia, and the former director-general of the Australian Navy’s chaplaincy.
- Openly advocating schism.
- Clandestine canvassing.
- Bashing fellow Bishops in the secular media.
- Refusing to meet with his Bishops.
There’s so much more. It has, indeed, been a long, sick and sordid story. Unchristian. So what, I must ask, is the point Deborah? Archbishop John Hepworth has been charged and found guilty, sanctioned by a Church (TAC) that he in any event does not want to be in. What more is there?
It’s time, I’d suggest, to look forward. You have an Ordinariate. You are part of that. Those who wanted to go went. Others stayed. Why still bother with the TAC and her internal processes? Why the bitterness?
Not so long ago, I said:
The Archbishop is media obsessed and sadly has become somewhat infectious. Someone who is in error and is to be avoided as such.
And Fr Robert responded:
… this man [Hepworth] and issues should be a “dead” subject, lets all move on now. The Lord will deal with him, in divine providence!
PS. I’m only really left curious on one thing: Who is Gay Walk, oops, I mean, Jay Walk, the one who so opportunely posted the above lame, boring, soundless video to YouTube. Please, do tell us Deborah.
UPDATE: See also, the impact of Bishop Hepworth’s handy work, here.