May 14, 2012 14 Comments
The Age reports:
Several hundred Anglican Australians are expected to convert to Roman Catholicism while keeping many of their Anglican practices next month after an invitation from Pope Benedict XVI.
Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart said the Pope would announce the establishment of a ”personal ordinariate for former Anglicans” in Australia on June 15, with their own bishop and churches.
Archbishop Hart, the newly elected chairman of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, said the ordinariate would be a new diocese, called the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of the Southern Cross.
Conference secretary Father Brian Lucas said last night the church expected about 500 Anglicans to convert, some from the dissident Traditional Anglican Communion, which broke away years ago after the Australian Anglican Church allowed women to be priests, and some mainstream Anglicans with a Catholic inclination.
He said he expected there would be two parishes in Melbourne, two in Sydney, one in Brisbane and one in Perth. The Pope had not yet appointed a bishop.
“This will be announced on June 15. But there are people needing to make a decision about their life, particularly Anglican clergy, and now they can make their plans with confidence in the next step in their journey,” Father Lucas said.
The Australian ordinariate follows similar moves in England last year and the United States earlier this year.
Meanwhile, the Pope confirmed last night that Parramatta Vicar-General Robert McGuckin has been appointed Bishop of Toowoomba, replacing Bishop Bill Morris.
HT Deborah Gyapong who adds:
I’m surprised it is as high as 500. I would bet when all is said and done, the numbers will be more similar to those in Canada, which will initially add up to what, about 300? when all the groups are received.
Is that all it takes for a Ordinariate to be erected?