Culture

My Saturday Night Coffee Rant

I love coffee. Very much. You can take a lot of things away from me, but coffee is not one of them! So earlier today I bought a 750 gram tin of Nescafé Ricoffy from a Pick n Pay store for R 54.99 ($ 7.60 / £ 4.77)


Getting home and wanting to finish off my preparations for Sunday Mass, a cup was is order. So you can imagine my total surprise when I opened up the tin and saw just how much coffee was actually missing:

Now I wasn’t expecting it to be full, but not that much gone either. I have no scale handy, but if I was to measure the granules, there is just no way that this is 750 g. It is the emptiest just opened tin that I have ever seen – and plenty I have been through before.

Look, I know that we have all fallen on hard times, but this is just plain ridiculous. Look at the tin (above)! Come on. And unlike the bottles of coffee, you cannot see inside the tin before you get home and open the thing.

Oh well, perhaps it’s simply time to change my brand…

Church

Excommunicated Homosexual Priest Refuses to Leave Church Home, Sues for Ownership

Catholic Culture has the news:

An Irish Catholic priest who was excommunicated in 1998 has sued the Diocese of Down and Connor for the title to the Church-owned home that he has refused to leave.

Father Patrick Buckley was excommunicated after he was consecrated as a bishop of the “Independent Catholic Church,” a schismatic body. But he remained in the home he had occupied as a Catholic pastor. Now he complains that he is unable to make needed repairs to the property without proper title, so he has sued for ownership.

The schismatic bishop uses the Church-owned home for his religious services. Among those services are the blessing of same-sex unions, which Buckley—himself an avowed homosexual—strongly endorses.

The BBC reports on his legal bid for ‘squatters rights’ here.

Church

SSPX Will Not Compromise With the Vatican

So says their leader, Lefebvrian superior, Monsignor Bernard Fellay:

“If their aim is still to force us to accept the second Vatican Council, the discussions have been clear enough in showing that we have no intention of  doing any such thing.”

These were the decisive but prudent words of Bernard Fellay, who was adamant he would not agree to any compromise with the Vatican. On the 15 August, Fellay spoke openly about the talks between the Lefebvrians and the Holy See during the “summer University” of the Society of St. Pius X, fonde by Monsignor Lefebvre.

The transcription of the public interview with the Lefebvrian superior, held by the Society’s press agent, the abbot Alain Lorans, was published a few days ago, on the eve of the meeting in Rome between Fellay and Cardinal William Levada, Prefect of the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which should encapsulate two years of “doctrinal talks” between Rome and the traditionalists.

The Lefebvrian superior’s judgement on the discussions was anything but friendly: “They are not beneficial right now because there is a clash of mentalities… In any case, we are certainly not in agreement. If there is one thing we agree on, that is that we do not agree on anything.”

Rest here.

Church

Arizona Church is House of Prostitution, Police Say

That should be: Arizona sect is a house of prostitution.

A church called the Phoenix Goddess Temple has been accused of being a house of prostitution, and a six-month undercover investigation has resulted in the arrests of 20 women and men who worked there, Phoenix police said Friday.

Authorities are still searching for 17 more people – all of whom have been indicted – in connection with the prostitution enterprise, said Sgt. Steve Martos, a Phoenix police spokesman. The 20 people arrested so far have been charged with prostitution or other offenses, police said.

During a Wednesday search of the Phoenix temple and two church-related sites in nearby Sedona, police seized evidence showing that “male and female ‘practitioners’ working at the Temple were performing sexual acts in exchange for monetary ‘donations,’ all on the pretense of providing ‘neo tantric’ healing therapies,” Phoenix police said.

The alleged brothel generated tens of thousands of dollars a month, Martos told CNN.

The full story is at CNN here.

A brothel indeed. Whoring themselves. Disgusting!

Church

Sexually Abused: Archbishop John Hepworth (Traditional Anglican Communion)

The Australian reports:

An Australian archbishop leading a breakaway Anglican faction that wants to reunite with Rome has revealed that he fled the Catholic priesthood after experiencing systematic sexual abuse over more than a decade.

Archbishop John Hepworth, the primate of the Traditional Anglican Communion, a 400,000-member Anglican breakaway group seeking reconciliation with the Vatican, broke decades of silence after securing an apology from the Catholic church and an offer of $75,000 compensation.

The revelation of his private pain, known until today only to family, a few close friends and senior church leaders, adds an extraordinary personal twist to the creation of Anglican ordinariates that have opened the way for the largest mass defection to the Catholic Church since the Reformation.

Despite what he suffered over a 12-year period from 1960 at the hands of two priests and a fellow seminary student who went on to be ordained, Archbishop Hepworth said he was determined to continue his mission to bring the churches together…

Documents obtained by The Weekend Australian show Archbishop Hepworth’s ordeal began in 1960 when he was 15 and newly enrolled at Adelaide’s St Francis Xavier Seminary.

The matter took another twist years later when one of Archbishop Hepworth’s assailants tried to use the Seal of the Confessional to silence him, by confessing the abuse to him.

Despite the experience, Archbishop Hepworth was ordained a priest and stayed with the Catholic Church until 1972, when he fled to Britain and drove trucks for Boots chemists. He became an Anglican, and then a priest in the Anglican fold, rising to be world primate of the breakaway Traditional Anglican Communion.

In an attitude of extraordinary forgiveness and atonement, his prime concern, set out in a letter to Archbishop Wilson in November 2008, was that his relationship with the Catholic Church be healed before he died.

“I do not seek retribution,” he wrote but he felt “deeply cheated of a priestly life that I have been exercising as it were by subterfuge, outside the communion of the Catholic Church”…

In an apology to Archbishop Hepworth dated August 26, Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart wrote: “We cannot change what has happened . . . You may never be rid of the memories or the hurt . . . On behalf of the Catholic Church and personally, I apologise to you and to those around you for the wrongs and hurt you have suffered at the hands of Father Ronald Pickering.”

The consultant psychiatrist’s report provided to the Melbourne Archdiocese’s Independent Commissioner for Sexual Abuse shows Pickering’s abuse was coupled with gruesome blasphemy about the Virgin Mary.

Archbishop Hepworth, who prays with the rosary daily and has a strong Marian devotion, told the psychiatrist working for the inquiry: “When I see a statue of Our Lady, that whole thing comes back and I can’t get rid of it.”

Nor can he get rid of the panic attacks, nightmares, sleeplessness, dizziness, feelings of terror when the doorbell rings and spontaneous tears that have haunted him for half a century. At one point he was brought close to suicide – he drove towards the graveside of one of his abusers, intending to take his own life there, but turned back.

He remains angry and frustrated that his complaint has not received attention in Adelaide. In 2007, he and Lay Canon Cheryl Woodman, chairwoman of the TAC professional standards committee, met the Vicar-General of the Adelaide Archdiocese, Monsignor David Cappo, who is the retiring Social Inclusion Commissioner to Premier Mike Rann and incoming chairman of Julia Gillard’s new Mental Health Commission.

Archbishop Hepworth says he named his initial abuser in the Adelaide seminary as the late John Stockdale, who worked as a priest in Bendigo. Stockdale died on December 31, 1995, reportedly in a sex cubicle at Club 80, a “men-only” club in Collingwood, Melbourne.

Archbishop Hepworth further complained to the Adelaide archdiocese about being violently raped by a priest on a beach at a seaside town and at other centres when he was a junior priest.

He also complained about that priest’s unseemly behaviour at the funeral of a relative.

Earlier this year, frustrated by the lack of progress and again accompanied by Lay Canon Woodman, he spoke to Monsignor Cappo. They were told inquiries in Adelaide were still at a “preliminary stage” because he had not lodged a “formal” complaint…

For all his suffering, Archbishop Hepworth retains a passionate love for the church, with which he is determined to be reconciled in full sacramental communion.

In his March 2008 statement, he wrote: “Perhaps I have been too driven in my search for redemption, for acceptance by a church that I did not know how to approach. I ran away from that church, but I have never lost my love for it.”

Despite the fact that he has been married, divorced and remarried and has three children, he also wrote: “Perhaps it is the only real love that I have ever known, and it is a love distorted and beyond my reach over all of my adult life.”

More details regarding the above here.

Zenit also has the above: ‘Anglican Archbishop: Abuse Drove Me From Church’, here.

UPDATES:

UPDATE:

  • Monsignor Ian Dempsey accuesd of Raping TAC Primate Archbishop John Hepworth here.
Church

Israeli Embassy in Egypt Attacked

Just look at these hoodlums:



ABC News reports:

A senior Israeli official on Saturday denounced an overnight attack on his country’s embassy in Egypt as a “grave violation” of diplomatic norms and a “blow to peaceful relations” between the two countries.

Egypt put its police force on a state of alert after the overnight violence during which angry protesters broke into the Israeli Embassy in Cairo, tearing down a cement barrier around the building and trapping six staff members inside.

The rampage further worsened already deteriorating ties between Israel and post-Hosni Mubarak Egypt.

The Israeli ambassador, his family and most of the staff and their dependents — some 80 people — were evacuated out of the country by military aircraft overnight, the Israeli official said…

Rest here.