Archive for November 2011
As Bible Places reports:
Several years ago some private individuals developed the “Jesus Trail” for travelers who wished to walk from Nazareth to Capernaum. We described this effort at some length last year. Yesterday the government Israel dedicated the “Gospel Trail,” a route that travels the same ground as the “Jesus Trail” and apparently competes with it. The Jerusalem Post reports on the story:
Minister of Tourism Stas Misezhnikov inaugurated on Tuesday the new Gospel Trail pilgrimage route which has been created by the Ministry of Tourism along with the Jewish National Fund.
The trail, which cost NIS 3 million to develop over three years, is designed to further increase the already large numbers of Christian tourists and pilgrims who visit Israel each year.
The route of the Gospel Trail follows the path which Jesus walked at age 30 after he was evicted from Nazareth, as related by the New Testament.
The trail, which runs for 63 kilometers, starts at Mount Precipice just outside Nazareth and continues eastwards down to Capernaum, taking in a number of important Christian holy sites.
These include the Mount of Beatitudes, where Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount; Magdala (Migdal today) the home of Mary Magadelene; Tabgha, the site of the Feeding of the Five Thousand; and Capernaum, where Jesus established his ministry and met his first disciple Peter.
Those traveling the trail will be able to do so by car, bicycle and, more traditionally, on foot – despite the current lack of amenities and accommodation along the route. The ministry says it is working on a program to encourage entrepreneurs to develop tourist facilities to provide services for those walking the trail.
The story includes a 3.5 minute video which features interviews with Christian pilgrims pleased with the announcement.
A search for Gospel Trail takes one to www.gospeltrail.com, a site owned by Jesus Trail™.
The Israel Ministry of Tourism website includes a description of the Gospel Trail route and the infrastructure created by the $700,000 investment. The site also includes links to a 12-page booklet (which includes the map posted below), a stage-by-stage guide, and a high-resolution satellite map with the trail marked.
Map of the Gospel Trail from the Israel Ministry of Tourism booklet
Pastor-celebrity-cult-status seeking. Sinful me-sim:
More than 10 million people watch Joel Osteen’s television broadcast each week, and soon viewers will be able to see how the pastor of America’s largest church lives outside of Lakewood.
A new reality show will follow the Osteens’ ministry as they serve and inspire people across the U.S., Lakewood confirmed.
TMZ broke the news, with details from the show’s producer, Mark Burnett:
“Survivor” producer Mark Burnett is teaming up with Joel Osteen for a primetime network show in 2012, TMZ has learned.
Burnett tells TMZ, the premise of the show is that ordinary people will give up several days or longer to go on a mission with Joel Osteen, one of the most popular pastors in the world. All of the missions will be in the confines of US soil to “start fixing things.”
Over the years, “just about every studio in Hollywood” has pitched show ideas to the Osteens, but they’ve always turned them down, until now, said Don Iloff, Lakewood spokesman.
The Osteens have been friends with Burnett and his wife Roma Downey, who are Christians and have visited Lakewood in the past, and they trust Burnett’s vision and expertise in the reality TV medium.
The program is in its early planning stages and has not secured a network to air it or even a name yet. The Osteen ministry team hopes it provides uplifting, positive programming that will bring families together to watch…
From Hollywood’s perspective, it’s not necessarily about the content, but the marketability and profitability of such programs, said Richard Flory, an expert in American Christianity at the Center for Religion and Civic Culture at the University of Southern California.
“It’s a different twist on this kind of short-term mission trip evangelicals have done for a long time,” said Flory of the proposed Osteen show. “It turns it into an entertainment model, where you feel good watching it, people feel good doing it and Joel Osteen gets exposure.”
Perish the thought! I mean, who the heck cares what Osteen does in his own time. He ain’t Jesus! Gosh, it’s enough to drive any God-fearing person to throw away the TV, for good! The whole Osteen idea makes one sick, to the gut! Forget about him and prime time TV. Your time is far better spent reading your Bibles! Please!!!
In via The Biblical World:
According to the the web site journeytochristmas.com this is a four part (four hour) series in which Evans and others takes a group of five people to Israel and learn about the Christmas story. Here is the the trailer.
If you are unable to watch the show… there are a number of clips available that are taken from the series. Simply go to the journeytochristmas.com click the “experts” tab and then below each “expert” a related video will appear. Topics covered include synagogues, Herod the Great, and the Dead Sea Scrolls, to name a few.
Iran continues to threaten Israel, this time hinting it will hit it with up to 150,000 missiles if its nuclear facilities are attacked.
Israel National News reports:
In a continuation of its statements from the past several days, Iran on Sunday threatened Israel with a barrage of missiles, if the Jewish State attacks its nuclear facilities.
Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi told the Fars news agency that Israel will not have a minimal chance of survival after attacking Iran.
“The enemy must answer this question, if it attacks Iran, for how long a battle and losing how many of its warships and vessels has it prepared itself?” Vahidi said.
“Why is the Zionist regime making threats (against Iran)? How many missiles have they prepared themselves for? 10,000? 20,000? 50,000? 100,000? 150,000 or more?” he added.
He advised the U.S. and its allies to realize Iran’s incredible might and said that in the event of a war, the Islamic Republic will teach the Americans what war really is and what soldiers are supposed to be like…
… Another senior Guard commander, Yadollah Javani, threatened that Tehran will target Israel’s nuclear facilities if the Jewish state attacks Iran.
“If Israel fires a missile at our nuclear facilities or vital installations, it should know that Israel’s nuclear centers will be the target of our missiles,” Javani said.
Tensions have been rising between Iran and the West since the release of a report earlier this month by the International Atomic Energy Agency, which said that Tehran was suspected of conducting secret experiments whose sole purpose was the development of nuclear arms…
You can read more here.
A breakaway Anglican church leader, who claims he was raped by a Catholic priest, has filed a police complaint after an internal church investigation cleared his alleged abuser.
Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) Archbishop John Hepworth said earlier this year he had been raped by three priests, beginning in 1960 when he was 15.
Senator Nick Xenophon named Adelaide priest Monsignor Ian Dempsey as one of the rapists under federal parliamentary privilege, saying the Catholic church had taken too long to investigate.
Adelaide Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson said last night an independent inquiry had found there was no substance to the allegations.
The investigation included interviews with 29 witnesses, many who were present at the time the events allegedly occurred, and a large number of documents including those dating back to the relevant period.
Archbishop Hepworth declined to give evidence to the Catholic inquiry and told reporters today that he had now filed a complaint with police after seeking legal advice.
A TAC spokeswoman, Cheryl Woodman, said the Catholic investigation was flawed and had traumatised Archbishop Hepworth.
Witnesses were not allowed indemnity and Archbishop Hepworth had to pay their travel costs, preventing many from speaking out, she said.
“This whole process has been incredibly difficult,” Ms Woodman told AAP.
“I truly believe the Catholic church would be more empathic, more understanding, considering the negative publicity they’ve had and the mishandling of abuse cases.”
Archbishop Hepworth, who is primate in Adelaide of the splinter TAC group, said he was an adult when allegedly raped by Monsignor Dempsey.
He said he broke away from the Catholic Church because of the abuse.
The honourable – and I say again: honourable thing– to do under the circumstances is for the Archbishop to step down as Primate of the Traditional Anglican Communion and to sort out his mess! Whatever seedy things happened some forty-years-ago has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the TAC. But by doggedly pursuing what is essentially a secret (up until now), personal problem, in this his blundering, squealing, chosen, public way, he is not only damaging his own name, but bringing the credibility of the TAC as a whole into disrepute.
Quite evidently, Archbishop John Hepworth is not consulting with any of his fellow Bishops and a lone voice of support is that of an ever yapping in the background Canoness Woodman.
I implore both of you thus, publicly, to the end that sanity prevail, and that in the Name of the One we profess to serve: Step down, sort out the dreadfulness mess that you have created for yourselves, and then, go as laypeople to the Roman Catholic Church, or simply leave them (the Roman Catholics) alone. For it is that you are becoming ‘stumbling blocks’ to the faith of many, and that cannot be tolerated nor can it be condoned (Rom 14:13).
It is for a good reason that the faithful are increasingly distancing themselves from you, and yours is becoming but a disturbing solitary call.
People are still influenced and informed by traditional, low-tech means through public monuments, gatherings and speeches, but are also targeted with messages and information on current events or matters of state through television, radio, internet and the print media.
In ancient times, on the other hand, religious, political or social messages aimed at the public were commonly transmitted through sculpted, figural art. Public buildings were often designed as imposing, three-dimensional message boards.
Today, with central Athens again witnessing violent clashes between demonstrators and police, one has only to look to the Acropolis or the Acropolis Museum’s Parthenon Hall for age-old public reminders carved in stone that a civilised society’s resistance against barbarism and chaos is a timeless struggle, never to be forgotten …
Do read on in Athens News here.
HT: Rogue Classicism