At a time when Indians are re-examining their society in the light of a single, horrific incident of gang rape, South Africa seems numb – unable to muster much more than a collective shrug in the face of almost unbelievably grim statistics – seemingly far worse than India’s.
Here almost 60,000 rapes are reported to the police each year – more than double the number in India, in a far smaller country.
Experts believe the true figure is at least 10 times that – 600,000 attacks
It is not that the issue is ignored – far from it.
This week South African newspapers are carrying gruesome stories of what is being described as a new trend – the rape of elderly grandmothers, mostly in rural communities…
Read the rest including a video report here.
Adelaide Now has the news.
In September last year, Archbishop Hepworth pub-licly revealed that he had allegedly been raped by Father Dempsey and two other priests one of whom is now dead over a period of 12 years from 1960, when he was in the seminary in Adelaide…
Archbishop Hepworth yesterday said he had spent ” a substantial amount of time” working with police earlier this year to finalise his statement…
Brutal and evil…
… the man allegedly shot dead his 19-year-old son who walked in on his mother being gang-raped and mutilated by him and his workers in Modimolle.
“It is alleged the husband confronted his estranged wife carrying a .22 rifle at her house on Tuesday around 17:00, accompanied by his three employees,” Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said.
The 51-year-old husband, with the help of his workers, tied the woman to a bed in her home, before her husband allegedly ordered them to rape her at gunpoint.
He also allegedly tried to cut off her nipples with a grinder.
“While the three were raping the woman, his 19-year-old son arrived at the house and without any provocation his father shot him in the head. He died on the spot.”
The man had fled in his white Toyota Fortuner. The three workers also ran away and their whereabouts were unknown.
Mulaudzi said the woman was being kept at a place of safety.
His name is Johannes Christiaan Kotze and you can also follow developments for now on Twitter (Johan Kotze).
There is no substance to a breakaway Anglican church leader’s claim to have been raped by a Catholic priest, Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson says.
So it in other words: Archbishop John Hepworth is lying.
Traditional Anglican Communion Archbishop John Hepworth said earlier this year he had been the victim of violent rapes by three priests that began in 1960, when he was 15.
Senator Nick Xenophon named an Adelaide priest as one of the rapists under federal parliamentary privilege, saying the Catholic Church had taken too long to investigate.
Adelaide Archbishop Wilson said today that an independent inquiry into the allegations by Michael Abbott QC had found there was no substance to the allegations.
The investigation included interviews with 29 witnesses, many of whom were present at the time the events were alleged to have occurred, and examination of a large number of documents including those dating back to the relevant period, Archbishop Wilson said.
“I am satisfied that Mr Abbott examined every aspect of the allegations raised by Archbishop Hepworth,” he said in a statement today.
Archbishop Wilson said Mr Abbott also found there was no basis to Senator Xenophon’s criticism of the Archdiocese’s handling of the complaint.
“He found the matter was handled in a completely appropriate and professional way … and in accordance with proper procedures and sensitivity towards Archbishop Hepworth.”
Monsignor Dempsey earlier said it was “totally unfair and unjust” of Senator Xenophon to have named him under parliamentary privilege as a rapist.
He said he had never had sex of any kind, consensual or not, with Archbishop Hepworth.
Archbishop Hepworth, who is primate in Adelaide of the splinter group Traditional Anglican Communion, has said he was an adult when he was allegedly raped by Monsignor Dempsey.
Archbishop Hepworth has said he broke away from the Catholic Church because of the abuse. The two other accused priests are dead and his claims about them have been settled with the Catholic Church.